"This good day, it is a gift from you.
The world is turning in its place because you made it to.
I lift my voice to sing a song of praise
For this good day."
Fernando Ortega from the album "Home"

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A God of Hope

He was separated...So I never have to be

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13

What in the world do we have to hope for?  When I turn on my computer or television I am bombarded by the evil and darkness in the world.  Girls kidnapped and held in a basement for 10 years.  A disgusting 10th grade teacher seducing and taking advantage of some of her students.  The  rise of sexual assault within the military.  It's yucky out there.  Then there's the story of Bella.  She's been fighting cancer for the last 6 of her 10 years.  Her parents already lost their son to cancer 5 years ago...Bella and her brother in hospital beds side by side...fighting...their parents...now in the business mode of fighting cancer...every day...for ten years.  Unfathomable.  So are we just silly because we try to wake up each morning and be filled with joy and peace in believing?  Are we just silly dumb Christians who have our pet verses that we throw out so as to not face the stark and terrible realities that hit us every day?  The answer is no.

There is hope.  It is real.  It is powerful.

Yes...it is tough to see sometimes...really tough to believe sometimes.  But it is real.

I just finished a study on the Gospel according to Mark.  When we got to the part of Jesus' crucifixion, something hit me right between the eyes...maybe for the first time.  Let me set the scene:

Jesus has had a three year ministry of healing, freeing people from demons, and trying to explain to His disciples that He is the Christ...the long awaited Messiah.

The disciples are Hebrews.  They are expecting the Messiah to come as a conquering king and setting them free from the tyranny and oppression of Roman Empire.

He tries to tell them...many times...that the Messiah must be delivered into the hands of the Romans and be killed...and rise on the third day.  They aren't getting it.  And now it's happening. They've captured Jesus. Passionate and loyal Peter has denied knowing Christ three times for fear of losing his own life...the disciples are scattered and terrified for their lives.

The Romans beat and scourge...spit on...mock...and torment Jesus in unspeakable cruelty.  Now he hangs on a criminal's cross...hands and feet nailed in.  Roman soldiers still mocking...gambling with his clothes...Jesus' own mama watching and wailing at his feet with just a few followers...still not getting it...horror and crushing defeat...so they think.

Then something amazing happens.  The sky darkens...like a solar eclipse of historical proportion and scientific significance.  Jesus says the most powerful words of what He did for us: "My God, My God...Why have You forsaken me?"  And it's happening.  Jesus is being torn away from His father.  Think of it.  Jesus is one of the three in the Holy Trinity.  He's being ripped from the other two.  This God in three persons is splitting within Himself.  The beauty of the trinity is that it is perfect union and relationship of God Himself.  Now...one is being separated.  All of creation is feeling it.  And guess what?  Those who are there...the disciples, Mary, the Roman soldiers...they start getting it.  Even as Jesus is being ripped away from God, man is being reunited with Him.

He was separated from His father.  Can you stretch your mind for a bit to try to fathom that?  Try to wrap your head around the idea of you being ripped from yourself...this is even worse.  Jesus, sinless, spotless...is now in hell and separated from his father. 

Then, a Roman centurion says, "Surely this man was the Son of God."  A Roman centurion gets it.  Hardness of heart softened...incredible!  One criminal on a cross next to Jesus had already gotten it, and was promised paradise that very day.  Then, the veil in the Hebrew temple is torn in two.  Powerful picture of all that had separated sinful man from a Holy God...removed.  We are separated no more.

He was separated from His father...so now...we never ever have to be.  And if I am NEVER separated from God, then what is there to fear?  What dread can this world throw on me?  Jesus endured the worst so that I never have to.

And then...three days later...like He said...Jesus rose from the grave.  All historical accounts testify that this is true.  It's not something made up...they never found His body.  And He appeared to all 11 disciples...even Peter who had denied Him...and 500 others...in flesh and blood...with the holes from the nails still in his hands.  He did it!  He conquered death!  No one ever in any religion ever did this before or has done this since.  It's what sets Christianity apart.  Proof that it isn't a myth?  Every single original disciple...plus other witnesses of this...all went to their own gruesome death proclaiming that this story is true.  They didn't make it up...they saw it with their own eyes.  Why would they go to their own death if they knew it wasn't true...if they never did see Him alive after His death?  No one would go to those lengths for a myth...or a cover-up.  They saw Him and touched His flesh...then went through all the world spreading the story.

Now...we never have to be separated from the God of the universe ever ever again.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?  When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh, My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell, Though a host encamp against me, My heart will not fear; Though war arise against me; In spite of this...I shall be confident."  Psalm 27: 1-3

We have hope.

I can't explain all the horrors of this world.  I don't have the answers to all the "whys".  But I know that we have God who was separated from himself and who conquered death.  Of that I am certain.  He did this because of His great love for me...for you.  And now...He is always with me.

This God of hope can fill me with all joy and peace in believing, that I may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

There is hope. Rejoice!





No comments:

Post a Comment